Five Bean Chicken Chilli

Ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I've had to find new ways to enjoy my favorite meals. One of my loves is good old hot Chilli. Since I can't use beef, and even ground turkey has a little bit of a fatty cook off, I decided to make my normal Chilli and switch it up a little. This time I used boneless skinless chicken breast,  cooked it in a covered pan so that it wouldn't dry out, and chopped it really fine. I also added a link of finely sliced smoked sausage for a flavor element. The rest was just adding the beans, spices, and sauce. Here are the things you will need:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 link of smoked sausage
1 LG can of tomato sauce
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of canellini beans
1 can of Chilli beans
1 can of black beans
1/4 cup Chilli powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp garlic powder (not salt)
1 1/2 tsp Adobo powder
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1 tbsp hot sause
1 tbsp black pepper
1 cup bread crumbs

There is no salt in this recipe as the beans offer plenty of sodium. You won't miss it. Pre-cooked the chicken in a covered pan so that it doesn't dry out. Remove and chop into very fine pieces as stated above. Cut sausage link in half lengthwise and then very thin on each half. Add this mixture to a slow cooker. Add the beans, and tomato sauce and stir to mix everything together. Add the spices and hot sauce and mix again. Set the slow cooker on high for about 4 hours and set to low for another 2. After the time is up, Turn off the heat and add the bread crumbs and stir.  This will thicken the Chilli to a heavy stew like consistency. Add a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese and eat it with some cornbread or garlic bread. Very simple, virtually no setup  difficulty and you have dinner when you want. Just start it in the morning and let it ride.  Slow cooker recipes are numerous.  This will be a good addition to my arsenal. Enjoy it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment