Orange Soda Asian Style BBQ Sauce.

Here is yet another sauce recipe that I tucked away for a later date to post about. If there is one thing that I like, it's good food with something that makes it better. Now, as far as beef is concerned, I'm a real purist. I love the taste of beef by itself, unless it's something that is cooked with rendered beef fat to make the steak even more sinful. However, pork, lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, and most seafood needs a little bit of help. Well, maybe not lamb, but I hardly eat much of it anyway because of cost. I tested this sauce on some pork and rice with broccoli and sweet carrots. Perfect opportunity to do an oriental inspired sauce right? Well, most of you know me, I love making things with flavor profiles that I can recreate with soda. I love the taste of orange in Chinese food. It's bright, has a snap, adds a depth of flavor, and is a vibrant addition to anything. Here are the things you will need:

1 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 orange soda (I prefer something like Sunkist or Crush...Fanta uses too much artificial corn sugar)
2 tbsp balsamic, sesame, or rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp duck sauce
1 tsp Siracha sauce

2 tbsp ground ginger
3 cloves of garlic (crushed or chopped)
2 tsp dried onion
1 tsp red pepper flake
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

This is a teriyaki based sauce with added liquid so you need a little bit of extra sugar to thicken the mix a little. Add the top list of ingredients together in a pot on medium heat and mix vigorously to make it mix evenly. Once hot, add the dry ingredients. Continue to simmer while covered on the stove top on medium low heat for about 20-30 minutes (stirring often). Keep warm until ready to serve. What you get is a tangy, slightly spicy, Asian style sauce that would taste great on just about everything. Enjoy this stuff, it is habit forming. I have since enjoyed it on salmon, chicken, and beef (even though I hate to admit it), and it worked great. Just remember that cooking isn't rocket science all the time, just mess with stuff that works together and it'll be good. Till the next time, love yo' food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment