Black Ale Pork Roast

This is something I've tried before with regular Lager but I decided to use a dark ale instead. My advice is to start this either at night and cook it while you are sleeping or early in the morning and cook it all day. Very quick for prep but it takes a while to cook.

1.)1 Boston Butt Pork Roast
2 )12oz bottles of Black Ale (New Belgium Brewery's 1554 is the one I used. It is strong enough to give a good flavor and still retains some sweetness)
3.)1 large white onion
4.)4 cloves of Garlic
5.)1 package of sliced White Button Mushrooms
6.)1 pint of Beef Stock
7.) 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

Jarred's Pork Rub
1.) White Pepper
2.) Black Pepper
3.) Cayenne Pepper
4.) Cracked Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
5.) Cumen
6.) Italian Seasoning
7.) Garlic Powder
8.) Onion Salt
9.) Rosemary
10.) Paprika (smoked if you have it)
11.) Celery Salt

Ok this is easier than it looks like. It takes 20-25 minutes of prep time and 6-7 hours of cook time. Don't get scared at the amount of stuff needed for this. Mix the rub first in a sandwich bag or small finger bowl. No real amounts of stuff in this rub but I just eyeball everything so I don't waste time measuring everything out. The flavors are what matters. Apply the meat rub all over the pork roast and rub it in with your fingers and hands vigorously. Wash hands and line the vessel of whatever you are cooking with in olive oil and heat to medium on stove top. Preheat oven to 250. With tongs or hands (no forks) put roast in pot on the stove top and singe the roast to sear in all the herbs and spices into the meat. My suggestion, cut onion while on first side, when done with onion its time to turn it over. You are just searing so don't worry about cooking through at this time. Make sure that all sides and edges are seared and remove the roast momentarily. Deglace the pot with a splash of beer and scrape all the spicy goodies off the pan and add the roast back in. Throw in the onion, mushroom, and sliced garlic cloves. Pour in the rest of the beer the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock put the lid on and pop it in the oven. Let it cook for 6-7 hours and when you open the lid after it is done, let it rest, and the meat will just pull off the bone. Put on sandwiches with some bbq sauce and you have a meal with lots of leftovers.

People have asked me why I insist on using alcohol to cook. I use it because it tastes good. It has a lot of flavor and makes things yummy. I use rum, brandy, whiskey, wine, beer, and many other things in many of my recipes and sauces. One of my favorite deserts is Bananas Foster which I'll post later. Delicious and definitely tasty and uses rum. I will continue to use these things in my recipes and if you would like me to put alternatives because of personal or religious reasons (the alcohol is all cooked out just leaving the flavor behind so religion shouldn't be a breaker), let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment