Spicy BBQ Baked Beans


One of my favorite sides to go with BBQ are my Spicy BBQ baked beans. It starts with making your own sauce which I will discuss how to make and then adding it to some canned beans with onion and cheese. These are a good compliment to any BBQ'd meat whether it be pork, chicken, beef, sausage, or turkey. These are the things you will need.

1 1/2 cups Ketchup
1/4 cup Brown Mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp Hot Sauce
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
pinch of Ground Clove
pinch Allspice

2 Cans of Pork and Beans
1 Can of Chili Beans
1 Cup of shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
1 Cup of shredded Cheddar
1 Small Onion

Turn on a small sauce pot over medium low heat and add ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce (reduce to make less spicy: I use Louisiana Brand because of the flavor without being overly spicy), vinegars. Mix with a spoon until all of the thinner liquids mix into a brownish red mixture. Allow to heat up and then add the honey and brown sugar. Let the brown sugar melt in and then add the spices. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.

In a small casserole dish add drained cans of beans and mix together. Pour in half of the sauce from sauce pan set the other half to the side (I like to save some of my sauces in plastic bottles for later use for the bbq I am cooking). Dice Onion very fine and add to the beans and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and then remove. Let cool slightly after mixing and raise oven to 425 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Mix the shredded cheese to make 2 cups of shredded cheese. Remove beans from oven and instantly add 1/2 amount of cheese and mix into very hot beans and melt completely. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and it's done.

While it isn't the fastest thing to make, you will thank me later for the flavor of these things. Unbelievable taste is something I strive to deliver to my taste buds while doing it cheaply. I've tried this recipe with shallots and sweet onions and also made a very good mix. You can even use bottled BBQ sauce if you want. I just prefer the tang of the one I described above.

0 comments:

Post a Comment